My photo
When I was little, I could repeat by memory any poem or sing a song that my mother used to read or sing to me. If she'll take me to a movie, that have music and songs, I'll be singing it later in any foreign language that movie was on. She'll invite her friends to a party and I'll be the entertainment. From Radj Kapur to Yves Montand, I've sang them all I guess music was in my blood and it stayed with me through all my life. And I can only repeat these great words from Nietzsche: "WITHOUT MUSIC LIFE WOULD BE A MISTAKE"

Friday, November 9, 2007

Rockin’ The Kremlin - Documentary Based on Valery's Life in Riga


Listen to a video where Valery describes his experience of founding rock and roll in the Soviet Union - his influences & KGB enforcement against playing rock and roll.

First Soviet youth to hear Rock & Roll (on his mother’s government issued short wave radio); inventor of the first Soviet electric guitar and bass; and in 1962 founded the first Soviet rock band The Revengers. Arrested many times in Riga and threatened exile if he didn't stop playing Rock & Roll. Immigrating to America in 1976, he joins the first Russian rock band in USA Sasha & Yuri; and later becomes a mentor to Eddie Vedder.

3 comments:

AG Cilantro said...

Hello Valery, Steve Seltzer here. What a great page! Greetings to the "Father of Russian Rock n Roll" from the "young american guitarist"!

Unknown said...

Valery!My good friend I am blessed to be working with you in this day and age!

Unknown said...

Valery!My good friend I am blessed to be working with you in this day and age!