My photo
When I was little, I could repeat by memory any poem or sing a song that my mother used to read or sing to me. If she'll take me to a movie, that have music and songs, I'll be singing it later in any foreign language that movie was on. She'll invite her friends to a party and I'll be the entertainment. From Radj Kapur to Yves Montand, I've sang them all I guess music was in my blood and it stayed with me through all my life. And I can only repeat these great words from Nietzsche: "WITHOUT MUSIC LIFE WOULD BE A MISTAKE"

Monday, December 3, 2007

Latvian Rock Legend Returns to Riga

The Latvian Institute
News & Events
By Ojars Kalnins
August 20, 2007

Back in the 60’s he shocked the Kremlin and rocked a whole generation. He created the first rock and roll band in the USSR, and had to make his own electric guitar because the instrument was otherwise banned by Soviet authorities. His concerts, together with Pits Andersons and others, caused near riots in Rīga. And now, two US filmmakers are producing a documentary called ‘Rockin’ the Kremlin’ about how Seisky and other Latvian rock and rollers started a musical revolution on the dark side of the Iron Curtain. Although he has spent the last 30 years as a musician and producer in California, Seisky (Valery Safudinov) returned to his home town of Rīga last week for special performances August 17 and 18 at the Bite Blues Club. Seisky jammed with the Latvian Blues Band and Igors Novikovs, bringing his high energy, good spirits and musical virtuosity to a large group of friends and fans.

During the 60’s and 70’s Seisky led three successful bands in Rīga – The Revengers, Natural Product and Three and a Half. In 1974 he emigrated to the United States, where he continued to play rock with other former Soviet musicians, appeared on numerous US TV shows, and eventually founded his own recording studio. Today, Seisky lives in San Diego and continues to make music in his Flight 19 studio. Seisky worked with many young talents, including Eddie Vedder who went on to form the Seattle rock group ‘Pearl Jam’. Seisky has also recently released his first CD called Moonlight Jam 'At the GasLamp’.

Seisky has vowed to return to Rīga more frequently and is even exploring the possibility of writing a musical based on the children’s story ‘Franklin’s Hat’, written by Juris Zvirgzdiņš.


Welcome back Seisky!

No comments: